Ever wonder what it would be like if Cloud Strife dated Usagi Tsukino? Or, if Eren Jaeger found true love with Ryuko Matoi?! These matches might not happen, but you never know what wild matches will be made at Zenkaikon's Cosplay Dating Game! Who knows, maybe Deadpool will fall in love with The Borg Queen!
The Cosplay Dating Game is similar to the traditional 'Dating Game' of yesteryear TV. Three bachelors or bachelorettes sit on one side of a curtain. On the other side is the 'prize,' an elusive bachelor or bachelorette for one of the 3 contestants to 'win.' The twist is that participants are in costume and are the character. The prize will ask several questions, which contestants must answer in character. Then “the prize” will choose which date they want. Unlike the real 'Dating Game,' this event is purely for the amusement and entertainment of the participants and audience. No real dating is involved.
There will be two sessions of the dating game. An all ages session, which is the family friendly version, and an 18+ session.
Zenkaikon is looking for participants to be the "prize". For the dating game, four (4) participants will be pre-selected prior to the convention for each session. The other bachelor/bachelorette contestants will be selected from the audience. Applications will open April 1st, 2017 at 10:00am and close April 15th, 2017 at 11:59:59pm. A link will appear on this page.
Rules and Requirements
- Participants in the 18+ session must be at least 18 years of age. You will be required to present proof of age at the convention.
- Participants in the all ages session must be at least 15 years of age, and must maintain a PG-13 level of conduct for the event.
- Participants must have a quality bought/commissioned or handmade costume that follows the Zenkaikon Convention Policies. Participants will need to be able to link to online photos of submitted costume.
- Participants must know the character they are cosplaying very well, and must be able to act like him or her or it.
- Participants need to have a good sense of humor and must be able to improvise.
- Characters from anime, video games, manga, established comics (DC/Marvel/etc.) and sci-fi genres are more than welcome to participate. No original characters please.
- Applicants are more than welcome to submit multiple characters. They must do so by filling out a separate application for each character. However, the applicant, if chosen to participate, will only be able to portray the character that is chosen by Dating Game Staff.
Dating Game Sign-ups and Check-In
In order to apply to be the "prize" in the Cosplay Dating Game, applicants must be pre-registered to attend Zenkaikon 2017, be 15 years of age or over at (for all ages session) or 18 years or older (18+ session) at the time of the Convention, and submit an application. Participants for the "prize" will not be chosen on a first-come, first-served basis, but rather on the quality of the application, quality of cosplay, and the popularity of the character. Applicants chosen to participate will be contacted by email.
Check-in will be held at the convention, at a time and location to be announced.
Applications for the Zenkaikon 2017 Cosplay Dating Game are not yet open. Stay tuned!
If, after reading the above, you are still uncertain about what level you belong to, or if you have any questions, please use the contact form and select “Cosplay” as the category.