Are you interested in becoming a part of the Zenkaikon staff? Zenkaikon’s all-volunteer staff run the convention during the event and help out year round. For a commitment of 24 hours of volunteering during the convention, there are many benefits for staffing. For more info and a link to apply, read below:
Benefits of Being Zenkaikon Staff
- Working in a fun and friendly environment with other fans
- Input into the planning of the convention through staff meetings and online discussions
- Eligibility to vote for the Zenkaikon Board of Directors
- At the convention:
- Hotel room for the convention (will room with other staff members)
- Convention badge
- Staff T-shirt
- Meals during convention hours
- Access to the staff room
- Parking reimbursement
- Giving back to your fellow fans by helping to make Zenkaikon a success!
Zenkaikon Staff Policies
Zenkaikon 2023 Staff COVID-19 Policy
Following the example of multiple regional events (DragonCon, Philcon, MagFEST), Zenkaikon currently requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Based on current trends, please anticipate having to wear a mask while at Zenkaikon. Should the situation change between now and the convention, we will update you with new information.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have reliable transportation
- Provide at least 2 references
- Be able to work 24 hours over the course of the convention
- It is highly recommended that the applicant has attended or staffed a convention before to be familiar with convention activities
- Uphold a positive, mature and professional image of Zenkaikon at all times.
- When representing Zenkaikon online via message posting and email, write messages as professionally and cordially as possible, with minimal netspeak.
- Be respectful and courteous to venue staff, convention attendees, guests, vendors, artists, and other Zenkaikon staff members.
- Work with other volunteer staff as a team, while having the flexibility to work independently.
- Be willing to receive constructive criticism and incorporate approved changes.
- Quickly resolve departmental problems, seeking help from other staff members when necessary. Grievances that cannot be resolved within the department may be brought to your division head, the con chair, or Staff Services.
- Grievances should be handled through direct communication with the affected person and never in any public forum.
Treat information garnered from Zenkaikon staff members, staff lists, or staff forums as confidential, unless that information has been evaluated and cleared for public consumption by the Zenkaikon chair(s) and/or the Communications Director.
- Check e-mail regularly and reply to all inquiries promptly.
- Complete the Hotel Planning form on time. Failure to complete this form by the deadline may result in loss of staff status.
- Actively participate in online staff discussions via the staff Discord and Facebook groups.
- Regularly attend staff meetings, minimum 1 per year – online, on the phone, or in-person.
Working at the Convention
- All staff members are expected to work at the convention (unless they cannot attend due to unforeseen circumstances, or a position has been clearly identified as purely pre-convention).
- Zenkaikon relies on all of its staff to make the convention a success. Failure to show up to work at the convention without notification to one’s Department Head will result in a minimum one year suspension from Zenkaikon Staff status. (Exceptions due to severe extenuating circumstances will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.)
- Follow directions given by Zenkaikon Senior Staff and one’s Department Head.
- Familiarize oneself with other staff members, staff protocols, convention rules, scheduled events and the convention floor layout.
- Be on time for shifts.
- Do not leave an assigned post without alerting one’s Department Head or Shift Supervisor.
Enforcing the Rules
- If you notice a convention attendee breaking a rule, ask courteously that they cease the behavior.
- If the attendee does not cooperate, alert Convention Safety immediately and provide a detailed description of the offenders and their offenses.
- When dealing with extremely uncooperative people do not physically touch them or any items in their possession. Alert Convention Safety immediately and provide a detailed description of the offenders and their offenses.
Behavior Toward Guests of Honor
- Behave politely and in a friendly manner towards guests.
- Be helpful to guests or direct them to who can help them if you are unable to assist them.
- Help make sure attendees behave respectfully towards guests.
- A Zenkaikon staff member will not:
- Give drugs or alcohol to a guest.
- Participate in any conduct with a guest that would give the convention and its staff a bad reputation (i.e. nudity, law-breaking, sexual conduct, or other behaviors like it)
- Be rude to, unhelpful to, or physically harm a guest.
Department Head Responsibilities
In addition to the responsibilities described above, Department Heads are also asked to fulfill the following:
- Check e-mails at least 3 times a week and reply to all inquiries within 3 days of receipt. Closer to the convention, emails may require shorter response times
- Pass a post-convention evaluation. All Departments Heads will be given an annual evaluation after each convention has concluded and may be terminated or re-assigned if they are not fulfilling their duties.
- Provide non-confidential information/updates to Division Head for staff meeting slides.
- Submit updated content regarding your department for publishing on the web on a timely basis.
Division Director Responsibilities
In addition to the responsibilities described above, Division Directors are also asked to fulfill the following:
- Meet on a monthly basis with convention leadership to give regular division updates
- Meet with the Treasurer and convention leadership to determine divisional budgets
- Meet with their respective department heads on a regular basis for department updates, budgetary actions, and overall guidance
- Keep the Timeline document up-to-date by adding action items and deadlines as needed and marking off when an item is completed
Does this sound like something that might interest you? You can apply to be a Zenkaikon staff member below!
Staff applications for 2023 are not yet open. Check back soon!