Last Updated: March 11, 2020
Zenkaikon is closely monitoring the local, national and global conditions through news media, the CDC website and information from Lancaster County and the PA Department of Health with regard to COVID-19.
According to the CDC, “[f]or the majority of people, the immediate risk of being exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19 is thought to be low.” At the time of this writing, the PA Department of Health and local government has also not recommended the cancellation of large-scale events.
Zenkaikon will take place as scheduled on March 20-22, 2020 at the Lancaster County Convention Center.
The health and safety of our exhibitors, members, and staff is our number one priority. The Lancaster County Convention Center has implemented enhanced cleaning and disinfecting protocols across the venue, using EcoLab approved products. Read more about the steps they are implementing.
In addition, Zenkaikon is implementing the following procedures:
- Wiping down frequently touched surfaces with disinfecting wipes
- Implementing public health messaging and reminders throughout the event
- Patrolling bathrooms to ensure they are fully stocked with soap and handwashing supplies
- Disposable nitrile gloves will be available in the video game rooms
- Both the LCCC and Zenkaikon are working on acquiring 60% alcohol hand sanitizer to have available for attendee use. However, due to current shortages, we also recommend you bring your own if possible, and remember that best practice is to always wash your hands.
- EMTs are located on the 1st floor, in the Vine Street Lobby of the convention center, near Registration.
We are also asking the following of our members:
- If you have any symptoms of illness or have been exposed to someone with COVID-19, we are asking you to stay home.
- Practice your royal wave or Vulcan salute to greet people, including our special guests. We strongly recommend that you refrain from handshakes or hugs. (Let’s see how many creative ways to greet others we can come up with!) For everyone's safety, some guests will have specific signage requiring that you to refrain from handshakes, hugs, or photo ops.
While Zenkaikon typically doesn’t offer rollovers or refunds for pre-registrations, we are going to make an exception this year due to current events. If you are no longer able to join us this year, you have the option to transfer your membership to someone else, rollover your membership to Zenkaikon 2021, or receive a refund of your membership.
Fill out this form and let us know what you request. Transfer requests must be submitted by March 15, 2020. Rollover and refund requests must be submitted by March 22, 2020.
We would also like to take this time to share the CDC’s standard recommendations for the general public to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Finally, we have the following general tips for our members for having an enjoyable and healthy convention:
- Eat several healthy meals a day
- Get a full night of sleep
- Shower or bathe, and wear fresh clothes daily
If there are any changes to our event, we will follow up with our members immediately. If you have any specific questions, please contact us.
We look forward to welcoming everyone on March 20-22, 2020 for Zenkaikon 2020!