Below is a list of requirements and responsibilities for Zenkaikon staff. When completing the staff application, you will be asked to certify that you have read and are able to fulfill the below.
After you've finished reading, review the list of staff positions accepting applications to decide which one you'd like to apply for.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have reliable transportation
- Provide at least 2 references
- Be able to work 24 hours over the course of the convention
- Be signed up as a member of the official Zenkaikon forums
- It is highly recommended that applicant has attended or staffed a convention before to be familiar with convention activities
- Uphold a positive, mature and professional image of Zenkaikon at all times. When representing Zenkaikon online via message posting and email, write messages as professionally and cordially as possible, with minimal net speak.
- Be respectful and courteous to venue staff, convention attendees, guests, vendors, artists and other Zenkaikon staff members.
- Work with department chairs and other department members as a team, while having the flexibility to work independently.
- Be willing to receive constructive criticism and incorporate approved changes.
- Quickly resolve departmental problems, seeking help from other staff members when necessary. Grievances that cannot be resolved within the department may be brought to the Head of Staff Services.
- Grievances should be handled through direct communication with the affected personnel and never in any public forum.
Treat information garnered from Zenkaikon staff members, staff lists, or staff forums as confidential, unless that information has been evaluated and cleared for public consumption by the Zenkaikon chair(s) and/or the Head of Communications.
- Check e-mail at least 3 times a week, and reply to all inquiries within 3 days of receipt.
- Complete online Staff Confirmation and Housing form (failure to complete this form by the deadline may result in the assumption that you are no longer available to staff, and loss of staff status).
- Actively participate in online staff discussions.
- Regularly attend staff meetings - online, on the phone, or in person. If unable to attend due to an acceptable reason (work, health, previous commitment), submit an activity report to their Department Head (or if a Department Head, to the Convention Chair).
- Physically attend at least one (1) face-to-face Zenkaikon staff meeting per year.
- Be available by phone in case of emergencies.
Working at the Convention
- All staff members are expected to work at the convention (unless they cannot attend due to unforeseen circumstances, or a position has been clearly identified as purely pre-convention).
- Zenkaikon relies on all of its staff to make the convention a success. Failure to show up to work at the convention without notification to one's Department Head will result in a minimum one year suspension from Zenkaikon Staff status. (Exceptions due to severe extenuating circumstances will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.)
- Follow directions given by Zenkaikon Senior Staff and one's Department Head.
- Familiarize oneself with other staff members, staff protocols, convention rules, scheduled events and the convention floor layout.
- Be on time for shifts.
- Do not leave an assigned post without alerting Convention Operations or one’s Department Head.
Enforcing the Rules
- If you notice a convention attendee breaking a rule, ask courteously that they cease the behavior. If they do not cooperate, alert Convention Safety immediately and provide a detailed description of the offenders and their offenses.
- When dealing with extremely uncooperative people do not physically touch them or any items in their possession. Alert Convention Safety immediately and provide a detailed description of the offenders and their offenses.
Behavior Towards Guests of Honor
- Behave politely and in a friendly manner towards a guest
- Be helpful to a guest and/or direct them to who can help them if needed
- Help make sure attendees behave respectfully towards the guest
- A Zenkaikon staff member will not:
- Give drugs or alcohol to a guest (the exception is if the convention is taking the guest out to dinner at a restaurant and the guest would like a drink with their meal)
- Participate in any conduct with a guest that would give the convention and its staff a bad reputation (i.e. nudity, law breaking, sexual conduct or other behaviors like it)
- Be rude to, unhelpful to, or physically harm a guest
Department Head Responsibilities
In addition to the responsibilities described above, Department Heads are also asked to fulfill the following:
- Check e-mails at least 5 times a week and reply to all inquiries within 3 days of receipt. For any messages requiring further assistance from the Convention Chair or other persons, more time will be allowed. Department inboxes will be periodically monitored by the Zenkaikon chiefs of staff to ensure messages are being handled in a timely manner
- Pass a 6 month evaluation. All Departments Heads will be given an evaluation 6 months before the con and may be terminated or re-assigned if they are not fulfilling their duties. Allowances for extenuating circumstances will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Submit updated content regarding your department for publishing on the web by 6 months before the convention