Wish to apply for one of the positions below? Proceed to our staff application!
AMV Department Staff
Viewing / scoring contest entries for determining finalists.
Crowd management / ushering.
Distributing / collecting contest ballots and pencils.
Working with and assisting other departmental staff during AMV department downtime if / when called on to do so.
Video editing experience preferred but not necessary
Experience with social media networks such as Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, etc.
Able to receive / view massive amounts of digital media (last year we had over 9GB worth of AMV contest entries; will likely have more this year).
Friendly demeanor for interacting / communicating with attendees.
Participate in dedicated online Facebook group for purposes of discussion and updates (which will be more intensive and frequent as deadlines approach).
Basic math skills (simple addition and division).
Communications: Art Director
- With the approval of the Head of Communications:
- Oversees the design of Zenkaikon printed materials including the Program Book and promotional materials.
- Assists with the creation of web assets including website and social media banners and downloadable media.
- In collaboration with the Head of Communications, maintains stewardship over Zenkaikon branding and ensures it is used appropriately.
- Able to meet (sometimes tight) deadlines
- Experience with and access to Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign (version CS5 or higher)
- Formal design training a big plus
- Must provide portfolio for review as part of application
Communications: Assistant Head
Assist the Head of Communications in day-to-day duties including, but not limited to:
- Writing and posting Zenkaikon announcements
- Updating the Zenkaikon website
- Updating social media networks
- Investigating advertising opportunities
- Responding to e-mail inquiries and social media inquiries
- Working with and assisting other departmental staff including press relations, program book design, and sponsorship acquisition
- Excellent writing and personal communication skills (link to writing samples should be included with application)
- Experience with social media networks such as Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, etc. (Experience updating business pages on these networks a big plus.)
- Ability to respond in a friendly and professional manner to all kinds of feedback regarding the convention
Convention Safety: Staff
- Secures all entrances/exits.
- Badge checks at all times.
- Ensures attendees are following the rules set forth by the convention.
- Keep hallways clear as much as possible.
- Keep lines moving - makes sure that lines for registration, panels, dealer, autographs, concerts and special events are orderly and proceed normally.
- Available for walk through and department meeting and briefing before the convention.
- Able to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Able to remain calm in high stress situations.
- Reports to Cosplay Head and/or Assistant Head.
- Assists mainly with Prop Checking/Peace-Bonding but may be needed for assistance with:
- Hall Cosplay Contest
- Cosplay Ball
- Dating Game
- Other cosplay activities
- Attends staff meetings as required by the convention and by the Head of Cosplay.
- Help where else may be needed at the convention if appropriately trained for that assistance, and does not interfere with primary cosplay tasks.
- Browses forums and answers cosplay related questions and topics to which they know the answer, otherwise will alert Cosplay head and/or Assistant Head to answer question.
- Works along with other staff departments to insure that convention policies are adhered to, especially with regard to appropriate cosplay and props.
- Be knowledgeable in cosplay and costuming. Though it is not required to be a cosplayer, it is a significant plus to have a working knowledge of costume and prop construction techniques (i.e. sewing, millinery, pattern drafting, special effects makeup, wig styling, etc) and/or knowledge of current events in the cosplay/costuming community in regards to masquerades, costuming competitions, and other popular cosplay/costuming events.
- Be able to work the majority of the convention weekend (particular hours to be determined).
- Will be allowed to cosplay at Zenkaikon if they so choose, but must be something as to be able to move and see clearly to accomplish any and all tasks without interfering, and not be a costume so popular as to cause a massive stoppage for photo opportunities. Must be willing to change if cosplay is found to impede duties.
- Provide assistance as necessary during dealer and artist load-in (begins Thursday) and load-out (late Sunday afternoon).
- Help set up Zenkaikon merchandise booth; maintain neat, attractive display; monitor inventory; assist with both break down; record ending inventory.
- Staff the Zenkaikon booth at the convention.
- Sell merchandise.
- Respond to attendee questions.
- Provide general support to Exhibits team in managing and monitoring the Exhibits Hall (includes dealers, artists, guests, exchange tables).
- Good customer service and teamwork skills.
- An enthusiastic, professional personality.
- Capable of careful tracking of cash and inventory.
- Previous retail sales or service experience a plus.
- Able to stand and walk for extended periods.
- Able to lift 40 pounds.
Gofer Operations: Staff
- Assist Gofer head with processing Gofer applications
- Train Gofers in carrying out respective tasks
- Assist in dispatching of Gofers where needed
- Excellent people skills
- Leadership or teaching experience is not required but is a plus
- Previous convention experience a plus
Guest Relations: Staff
- Serve as the guest's at-con point of contact along with Department Head
- Escort guests to their panels/activities and make sure they get there on time
- Make sure the assigned guest(s) are fed and their needs are met
- Make sure the attendees behave respectfully towards the guest (i.e. make sure the guest is not being stalked or harassed)
- Make sure Zenkaikon staff and volunteers behave respectfully towards the guest
- Assist safety (or line management staff) in line management during autograph sessions
- Available for airport pickup/transport of guests
- Moderate panels as needed
- Ability to maintain a professional yet friendly demeanor towards guests
- Valid driver’s license (up to date registration and insurance required)
- Previous experience working in a guest department at one or more established conventions (or equivalent hospitality experience)
- Ability to work as a team with Convention Chair, Department Heads and Staff
- Ability to be in communication with the Department head via email (Skype/Google Hangouts are also appreciated).
- Has a working cell phone. (with adequate data plan)
- Able to keep guest information confidential
- Maintaining a comprehensive storyline throughout the weekend while producing on the fly changes to meet player demand.
- Creating a storyline pre-convention that can handle 50-100 players working to rip it apart.
- Maintaining an in-character role to facilitate the weekend’s storyline.
- Helping players with rules, calling rules as necessary, and handling rules disputes.
- Able to meet outside of the ‘official’ meetings - at least once per month all year.
- Able to handle being ‘in charge’ of players for long periods of time.
- Able to handle work shifts over 12 hours long with infrequent breaks.
- Able to keep calm in stressful situation and smooth out problems that may occur between players.
- Must know NEXUS LARP system rules.
Live Programming: Staff
- Covering the various programming rooms during the convention, to ensure that the Panelists have all technical assistance needed to begin their scheduled programming on time and attendees do not fill the room past fire marshall/crowd safety standards
- As time permits, assess the quality of programming in the room and gauge the audience response
- Good interpersonal skills and teamwork
- Good oral communication skills
- Ability to quickly learn new information and adjust to changes with minimal notice
- Reasonable level of comfort in moving crowds or requesting assistance from other departments
- Able to be on your feet for periods of several hours
- Previous convention or festival experience preferred
Mobile Tech: Staff
- Set up and tear down of AV equipment in Panel and Video rooms
- Set up and tear down the registration computer network
- Assist panels staff in getting panelists set up to do their panels
- Assist convention staff with radio check in and check out
- On call to troubleshoot any technology problems that arise during the event
- Possess a basic knowledge of Audio/Video equipment and computers
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Able to be on your feet for periods of several hours
- Able to navigate what are sometimes small/tight spaces for electrical hookups
- Available during setup and breakdown of the convention.
- Willing to be on-call for the entire duration of the convention in reasonable shifts, including keeping a radio (provided)
- Be able to deal with irate congoers/guests/staff and behave in a helpful manner in order to troubleshoot issues with the technology used by the convention and the guests/panelists.
- Ability to respond to calls without direct instruction
- Ability to adapt to situations in which the perfect solutions may not be available and must therefore find an imaginative solution
- Abide by all registration policies and procedures.
- Assist the Head and Assistant Head of Registration in registering attendees.
- Operate a registration workstation.
- Handle attendee purchases and make change (for cash stations).
- Field attendee questions.
- Promote questions to appropriate personnel when necessary (e.g., forwarding attendees with issues such as missing/incomplete registration information) to the triage station.
- Ability to work with money (for cash stations).
- Good oral communication skills.
- Competent usage of a web browser.
- Ability to type (touch-typing a plus).
- Good interpersonal skills and teamwork.
- Previous experience in a registration role a plus.
- Prior customer service experience a plus.
Staff Suite: Staff
- Analyzes and takes into account staff food preferences, dietary restrictions, and allergies as reasonable.
- Works with the food committee, restaurants and caterers to choose the menus for the convention.
- Assists with food pickups at con.
- Keeps Staff Suite stocked with supplies and helps to promote food safety.
- Assists in the operation of Staff Suite during convention hours including: serving/prepping food, cleaning, etc.
- Familiarity with Google Docs and Excel Spreadsheets.
- Able to communicate via email, phone/Skype.
- Available the Thursday before the convention and the Sunday evening after convention.
- Compliance/familiarity with food safety procedures
- Ability to cook is a plus.
- Valid driver’s license and transportation preferred.
- Good people skills.