Zenkaikon aims to create a friendly, safe, and welcoming environment for all of its members. For this reason, it is important that all convention attendees read and follow the policies below.
Also, please remember that anything illegal outside the convention is illegal inside the convention. All federal, state, and local laws apply.
- General Policies
- Disruptive Behavior
- Anti-Harassment Policy
- 18+ Programming
- Cameras and Photography
- Dress Code & Cosplay Policies
- Weapons and Cosplay Props
- Page a Chair
- Please have your convention badge visible at all times. If you are at any time asked to present your badge by a Zenkaikon Staff Member, a Zenkaikon Volunteer, or a Convention Center Staff Member, please do so.
- Zenkaikon does not allow open alcohol within convention spaces. If you would like to consume alcohol, you may do so in one of the hotel bars, local restaurants, or your hotel room. Under no circumstances may alcohol be given to someone less than 21 years of age.
- Panhandling or selling is not permitted (with the exception of approved Vendors & Artists within the Exhibit Hall)
- We like the Convention Center, and the Convention Center likes us. We’d like to keep it that way. Please respect Convention Center and Zenkaikon property, and follow any policies the Lancaster County Convention Center and Lancaster Marriott set forth.
- Also, please remember that the Convention Center, hotels, and local businesses are not dedicated completely to Zenkaikon throughout the weekend. Please be considerate and respectful of non-convention individuals at all times, as you represent more than just yourself, but the entire fandom community.
While we want everyone to have fun at the convention, disruptive behavior interferes with the enjoyment of our fellow members, and is not permitted. Examples of disruptive behavior include, but are not limited to: running; yelling or using disruptive noise makers; rough-housing; profanity; public intoxication; blocking traffic flow; or any other behavior which is deemed disruptive, dangerous, or that common sense dictates you should not do.
Some behaviors such as theft, vandalism, assault, or any other action deemed highly disruptive or illegal may be grounds for immediate removal from convention spaces, revocation of an attendee’s membership and badge, and/or notification of the proper authorities.
Zenkaikon is dedicated to providing a friendly, safe, and welcoming experience for everyone. Harassment of any kind, including, but not limited to: verbal or physical assault, deliberate intimidation, stalking, or unwelcome physical attentions, will not be tolerated. If someone tells you “no” or to leave them alone, your business with them is done. If you continue to attempt to have contact with that person, you may be removed from the premises.
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please notify a member of Zenkaikon Staff immediately so that they may address it. Zenkaikon Staff can be identified by their “Zenkaikon Staff ” T-shirts and vertical “STAFF” badges. If you feel our staff has not been able to meet your needs, or if you have further concerns, please Page a Chair.
It is unavoidable that there will be lines for some events. We ask that you please wait patiently in line. If someone is caught cutting in line, that person will be sent to the back of the line. Also, please do not block entrances or exits with the line. Finally, in some cases a line might become hard to manage and Zenkaikon Staff may ask you to move. Please follow their directions. They really are just trying to help.
- All members who will be under the age of 18 on the date of the convention will be required to complete and bring a signed Parental Consent Form to present at the registration check-in desk. Copies of these forms will be available at the convention, or may be downloaded from the Zenkaikon website. We recommend that all members under the age of 18 attend with a parent or guardian.
- Anyone under the age of 13 is required to have a parent or guardian with them at all times. Accompanying parents or guardians must also be registered for the convention.
- We do not charge membership fees for children under the age of 7.
Some Zenkaikon programming will be labeled as 18+ only. Anyone who wishes to attend 18+ programming must be at least 18 years of age on the day of the event, and must obtain an 18+ wristband from the wristband booth prior to the program.
- Only government-issued photo ID will be accepted as identification for issuing 18+ wristbands.
- 18+ wristbands will be available at Registration during specified hours.
- An 18+ wristband will grant an attendee access to 18+ programming for an entire weekend, no need to line up for a new one each day
- With the exception of video screening rooms, most areas of Zenkaikon allow photography, unless otherwise specified.
- Use of stationary photography setups (e.g., lighting, backdrops, and tripods for longer than a simple group shot) are limited to the official Zenkaikon Photo Booth and members of the press who are approved by the Communications Department.
- Please be considerate when stopping to take photos in the hallway by making the photo stop quick, and not blocking the main flow of traffic, particularly on stairwells and landings.
- Out of respect for our members’ privacy, we also request that you get permission before taking photos of attendees or guests.
- “Stringing”/”poi” of glow sticks (swinging around glow sticks on strings or lanyards) and moshing will not be allowed during dances due to space and safety concerns.
- No bags, food, or beverages will be permitted in the dances. A coat/bag check will be available during dance hours.
- Lines for autographs will start 30 minutes before the autograph session. A limited number of tickets will be distributed to people in line based on the length of the session. If you do not have a ticket, you are not guaranteed to get an autograph at that session.
- Autographs are limited to one item per person. If you wish to have another item signed, you must get back into line.
- Guests will not sign any bootleg or illegal items. Please bring licensed items only.
- Please have whatever item you want autographed ready to be signed by the time you reach the front of the line. (e.g. Remove CD sleeves/DVD cover from their cases before you get to the guest.)
- Out of courtesy to those in line behind you, please try not to take up a lot of the guests’ time when you reach the front of the line. To save time, you can think of what you want to say to the guest as having a 30 second limit, and try writing it down before you get there.
Zenkaikon is a family-friendly event, and attendees are asked to dress accordingly. Zenkaikon Staff reserves the right to ask an attendee to change if their clothing (or lack thereof) is deemed inappropriate.
- Shoes or footwear are required at all times.
- No rollerblades, Heelies (with wheels inserted), hoverboards, or stilts are permitted, due to safety and space concerns.
- Masks covering an attendee’s face should be easily removable upon request by Convention Center Staff or Zenkaikon Staff.
Solicitation signs are prohibited ("Glomps for Free", "FreeHugs", "Glomp Me", etc.). Included in this rule are shirts and other clothing with solicitation phrases used in lieu of physical signs. Other types of signs are allowed only if they are an integral part of a costume (such as the sign carried by Genma the Panda in Ranma 1/2, or Phoenix Wright characters).
In all cases, the final decision on what constitutes an inappropriate prop belongs to the Zenkaikon Staff, along with the Lancaster County Convention Center. If your prop is deemed inappropriate or dangerous to others, you will be asked to remove it to your car, room, or other private quarters.
Please use common sense when bringing prop weaponry to Zenkaikon. If you would not carry your item in public, in plain sight, then you should not have it at the convention.
- All prop weapons must be easily identified as being replicas.
- All props must be inspected and approved by a Zenkaikon staff member at a designated prop check station.
- The maximum prop size is six feet (6’) in any direction.
- Misuse of your prop, by swinging it or endangering others with it, will result in Zenkaikon staff asking you to remove the prop from the convention spaces.
- Weapons, which include swords, daggers, or paddles that have been purchased in the Dealer’s room, must remain boxed and immediately removed to your car, room, or other private quarters. Zenkaikon does not store members' items.
- Any weapon that can shoot a projectile or has moving parts will not be permitted. Prohibited examples include, but are not limited to: Water guns/pistols/rifles/blasters, BB/Pellet guns, Crossbows, dart guns, or blow guns.
- Live steel; Live steel is defined as any object made of metal that is capable of taking an edge, whether or not the object is actually sharp, and whether or not the object is sheathed.
- Explosives or chemicals of any kind
- Airsoft guns
Props, resin casts, and toys simulating the appearance of firearms will be allowed only if they:
- Are easily identifiable as toys or props
- Have no moving parts
- Are marked with a non-removable orange tip
- Are checked by staff at one of Zenkaikon's prop check stations
- Wooden swords including boken, bo sticks, and shinai.
- Anything made of paper mache or other material that is not dangerous to others (e.g. has no sharp edges, or parts sticking out that might trip people as they walk by).
- Any metal chains less than three feet (3’). This includes, but is not limited to, chain wallets or chains on non-costume clothing. While you can have chains, you cannot hold the chain like a leash and lead others around the convention.
- Bows will ONLY be permitted if they are not strung with any tension.
If you are uncomfortable about how a policy is being enforced or how you are being treated by a Zenkaikon staff member or volunteer, you can ask for a Chair to be paged. The Zenkaikon staff member or volunteer will call for the Zenkaikon Chair on duty. The Chair will come to your location to assist as soon as possible.
Attendance is subject to the rules and regulations of Zenkaikon. A badge may be revoked and a member ejected from the convention for disorderly conduct, a violation of the law or rules, or in the sole discretion of a Zenkaikon official. A member acknowledges that by appearing at Zenkaikon he or she may be recorded (by video, sound, or otherwise) and consents to such recording and its publishing and re-broadcasting. In exchange solely for this license, the member, in accepting a badge: (i) releases Zenkaikon from any liability for loss or damage to persons or property, infringement of any right, or any other claim or cause of action of any kind; (ii) authorizes and permits Zenkaikon and its designees to use for any and all purposes his or her name, voice, and likeness and all reproduction thereof in any and all forms and in all media now or hereafter known in perpetuity; (iii) agrees to comply with all Zenkaikon rules and regulations.