Zenkaikon Online 2021 Code of Conduct
This code of conduct applies to all Zenkaikon Online spaces, including our Discord, Zoom, Twitch, other video conferencing interfaces, associated chat/messaging areas, social media accounts, etc., related to the virtual convention. Violating this code of conduct may cause participants to be sanctioned or expelled from these spaces at the discretion of Zenkaikon. Some Zenkaikon Online spaces may have additional rules in place and made available to participants. Participants are responsible for knowing and abiding by these rules.
Zenkaikon Online is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone. We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form.
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, age, race, or religion.
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, which can include food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment.
- Deliberate misgendering or use of ‘dead’ or rejected names.
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behavior in inappropriate spaces.
- Simulated physical contact (e.g., textual descriptions like “*hug*” or “*backrub*”) without consent or after a request to stop.
- Threats of violence.
- Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm.
- Deliberate intimidation.
- Stalking or following.
- Taking video recordings or screenshots without prior consent and for purposes of harassment.
- Sustained disruption of discussion.
- Unwelcome sexual attention.
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease.
- Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity without their consent.
- Sharing of non-harassing private communication without consent.
Zenkaikon Online prioritizes marginalized people’s safety over privileged people’s comfort. Zenkaikon reserves the right not to act on complaints regarding:
- ‘Reverse’ -isms, including ‘reverse racism,’ ‘reverse sexism,’ and ‘cisphobia.’
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as “leave me alone,” “go away,” or “I’m not discussing this with you.”
- Communicating in a ‘tone’ you don’t find congenial.
- Criticizing racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior or assumptions.
Zenkaikon is a family-friendly convention and expects participants to conduct themselves as such. Foul language, violent or sexual images, or like behavior may be subject to disciplinary action.
Zenkaikon is not responsible for solving disagreements and interpersonal problems between individual members outside of the convention.
If a participant of Zenkaikon Online is harassing you, you notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact the Code of Conduct Team (#moderators) on the Zenkaikon Discord. If the person who is harassing you is on the team, they will recuse themselves from handling your incident. We will respond as promptly as we can. If you do not feel comfortable addressing your concerns directly with our staff, you may also use our convention phone number, (717) 409-5007. This phone number is monitored by our leadership team and accepts both voice and text messages.
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the Code of Conduct Team may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from all Zenkaikon Online spaces and other measures as seen fit by the convention chairperson and Board of Directors.