Online entries only! Please read thoroughly! If you don't, you may be disqualified. How will we know you didn't read the rules? I guess you’ll have to read the rules to find out.
Submission Deadline: Sunday, February 10, 2019 11:59 PM EST
There will be NO EXTENSION beyond this date! All entries MUST be submitted no later than this. Any entry arriving later will not be considered, so make sure to get them in as soon as possible!
Contact the AMV Coordinator at email@example.com for more information.
Please use Google Drive or DropBox to upload your entries.
There will be six categories this year:
- Upbeat / Dance
- Romance / Sentimental
- Free Range Fandom!
Zenkaikon is a convention geared to encompass anime, sci-fi, fantasy, comics, literature, and all other mediums by which we get our geek on. Here is where you represent your favorite. Whether it’s Marvel / DC, Star Trek, Steven Universe, Sesame Street, video games, Doctor Who,...whatever it is, show us your tribute to it and share it proudly!
Other special awards include:
- Viewers Choice (as voted by the viewers)
- Best in Show (our judging panel's award for best overall video)
- Coordinator's Choice
- Spirit of Zenkaikon - Best representation of this year's theme ("Lucky 13 - Fortunes & Superstitions")
Once the deadline passes and we have all entries, the Zenkaikon AMV staff and members of a viewing committee will participate in a blind screening to determine the field of finalists. The screening will utilize a fairly strict scoring system. Your entry must pass a quality check (sound clarity, video quality, etc.). It will then be judged on several technical factors, although entertainment value is extremely important. No one on the screening panel will be shown or told the name / identity of any of the creators, nor will their scores be shared amongst or seen by each other. Once all the numbers are in, the math will be done and the highest-scoring entries for each category will pass on to the finals (posted one to two weeks before the convention).
It's at the end of this page but KEEP READING!
If you are unsure about any of the source information (anime, song titles, etc) please look it up, as it is all crucial. Google is your friend.
Please name your files in this format:
- "category - your name or alias - video title"
All submissions must meet the following standards:
- at least 720 x 480 resolution
- 29.97 fps -OR- 23.976 fps
- Non-Interlaced video (Progressive scan)
- Stereo sound
Frame rates of 60fps and higher are allowed but be advised that the main Showdown video will be rendered to 29.97fps HD mp4.
The following formats will be accepted, provided that they meet the above standards:
- MPEG 2
- mp4 (absolutely NO Quicktime-formatted videos!)
- HuffYUV avi
- Lagarith avi
- Uncompressed avi
- Uncompressed wav (PCM)
- MPEG audio (mp3, mp2, etc.)
Helpful software for files over 250MB in size (recommended)
Zarx264gui: free, safe, reliable, and trusted program used to compress large video files into more manageable, smaller mp4 files. Download and all information can be found on the creator's site here: http://www.amvhell.com/stuff/zarx264gui/
If you need help using this program, here is a walkthrough: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtechbeta/zarx264gui.html
- This should go without saying, but plagiarism will NOT be tolerated! If you are caught violating this rule, you will be disqualified and banned from entering future Zenkaikon AMV contests.
- All entries *MUST* conform to the formats listed above.
- NO BUMPERS or CREDITS will be permitted! We will provide MTV-style title graphics to introduce each entry for the finals.
- A maximum of three submissions per person, one per chosen category, is allowed.
- Entries must be at least 1 minute in length and not to exceed 5m30s running time. They must contain at least 75% Japanese animation. Live action is allowed as long as your video remains mostly anime / video game. If you use video game sources, make sure they are Japanese-produced. No more than a total of 15 seconds of original audio from your source video will be allowed!
Corollary: For the “Free Range Fandom” category, there will be no restriction on the amount of live action used. Your chosen fandom can be from anywhere in the world.
- Do not enter a video if it has won three major awards (best of category, viewers choice, best in show). If you enter several contests and your video wins its third award after the Zenkaikon 2019 submission deadline has passed, it will NOT count against you.
- A “soft” PG-13 rating will apply.
NO sexual content (this should be self-explanatory).
NO gratuitous violence (disembowelment, excessive blood, amputations, impaling, etc). Let's use Hellsing or Berserk as examples. If you feel your entry may fall into this criteria but aren’t sure, please contact us!
NO profanity (obscene / offensive language). This should also be self-explanatory but, if you're unclear about this, contact us.
Anything that is questionable will be shown to both the judging panel and convention chair for further review. Bottom line: the convention chair has the FINAL WORD!
- Your video will be returned to you for alteration or disqualified if there are any logos, watermarks, or fan-produced subtitles (aka "fansubs) – CHECK YOUR WORK before submitting! You ARE allowed to produce your own subtitles (typically song lyrics or parody).
- All submitted materials become the property of Zenkaikon and are non-returnable.
- Submissions with significant audio or visual degradation will not be accepted. (PROTIP: Do not make AMVs with downloaded video or poor-sounding audio.)
- Prizes will be presented during a formal award show Saturday night of Zenkaikon 2019. If you win any awards but are not attending the convention or must leave before the award show, awards will be mailed out after the convention courtesy of Zenkaikon. DVD copies of the contest will not be available due to legal considerations.
- Zenkaikon is not responsible for lost, misdirected, or damaged entries, prizes, etc.
- We reserve the right to reject any video for any reason. Rules are subject to change. If any major changes are necessary to make your entry suitable for screening, we will contact you as soon as possible.
- All members of the Zenkaikon AMV Staff and judging panel are prohibited from entering this contest.
If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Bring us your best and tell your friends who edit AMVs that we're up and running.